Bass line from "Caress Me Down"

General Talk and Questions about Sublime

Did you know the bass line from caress me down was not original?

Yes
14%
Yes
14%
No
36%
No
36%

Total votes: 22

bribas

Bass line from "Caress Me Down"

Post by bribas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:34 am

I was setting up my sound after i moved and i had a reggie station on. As i was plugging in my sub the song changed. had my head right on the sub when i heard the bass line for caress me down. I said to my self are they playing this on tis station? then the song continued and it was not sublime. It was Wayne Smith. I looked in to the song (Under Me Sleng Teng) and it was recorded in 1985. It was the first to bring digital music in to reggie. Did anyone else know that this bass line was not original?

RIP Brad

My friends and I are planing a trip to CA for the 10 year anniversary of Brad's Death. Everyone in the area or willing to go out there should go see his memorial on 5/25/06. :cry:

Bryan
Naugatuck, CT

snafu

Post by snafu » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:38 am

I hope their planing a trip, it is more convenient then caring a trip.

5 Dollars
2009 Award Winner
2009 Award Winner

Re: Bass line from "Caress Me Down"

Post by 5 Dollars » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:46 am

bribas wrote:I was setting up my sound after i moved and i had a reggie station on. As i was plugging in my sub the song changed. had my head right on the sub when i heard the bass line for caress me down. I said to my self are they playing this on tis station? then the song continued and it was not sublime. It was Wayne Smith. I looked in to the song (Under Me Sleng Teng) and it was recorded in 1985. It was the first to bring digital music in to reggie. Did anyone else know that this bass line was not original?

RIP Brad

My friends and I are planing a trip to CA for the 10 year anniversary of Brad's Death. Everyone in the area or willing to go out there should go see his memorial on 5/25/06. :cry:

Bryan
Naugatuck, CT

a lot of sublimes stuff isn't completely original.
I'm old now.

bribas

Post by bribas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:49 am

Yes i know most of sublimes is taken from other song but i though this one was original.
Bryan

Lynnduhh
2005 Award Winner
2005 Award Winner

Post by Lynnduhh » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:37 am

Yeah, I actually just bought a cd "The Evolution of Reggae" and heard that bassline. I had to play the song three times to make sure it really was the bass line from caress me down..sure was.

swanny
2006 Award Winner
2006 Award Winner

Post by swanny » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:20 pm

Sublime uses it in other songs such as Eireen.

bribas

eireen

Post by bribas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:32 pm

Its does sound more like eireen. does anyone know if this was just a strictly drunken freestyle, or a cover. as you can see i love seeing where brad got his influences from.

skabucket5

Post by skabucket5 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:21 pm

woah yea....last year during the first week of school a reggae band came and played...and i heard the bassline and was like HOLY FUCK IT'S SUBLIME...and i got all excited and like flipped out...and then i realized that it in fact was not sublime...and i felt like a tool...and it was like my first week of school....so...i was quite embaressed haha...but whatevs

Low_LiFe_40oz

Post by Low_LiFe_40oz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 pm

Tenor Saw - Punkin' Belly(Sleng Teng).mp3

here is another example of some cool reggae with the sleng teng bassline.

download it here free, cause i love you guys.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4299679/Tenor_Saw_-_Punkin__Belly_Sleng_Teng_.mp3.html

just click above then scroll down and click FREE! wait a sec, then click the file name next to download.
! ROME !

STILL STRAIGHT OUTTA LONG BEACH

CAN'T YOU SEE THERE IS HOPE HERE!

TT Lo

Post by TT Lo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:45 pm

snafu wrote:I hope their planing a trip, it is more convenient then caring a trip.

i dont get it

EDIT: ohhh, he said 'planing' instead of 'planning'. i get it now, but its still not funny :doh:
We're only gunna die from our own arrogence, that's why we might as well take our time