advice anyone?

Share and update guitar / bass tabs
WornSon22
2005 Award Winner
2005 Award Winner

advice anyone?

Post by WornSon22 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:48 pm

i'm sure i've talked to one or two of you about this before, but i picked up a guitar back in may, a fender acoustic, basic dreadnaught style... and i was just wonderin if any of you could help out someone that has never really got good at an instrument (besides my own voice) before. i started with it back in may when i got it, but then i ran into a wall when a few things (mainly a girl) came into my life and i just didn't have time for it. i am finally starting to get more time to just sit and chill with my guitar, which i love, because it calms me down... and actually was a big help in me stopping smoking. right now, i know a few scales and a few basic chords but not much else. my problems right now are speed and accuracy, which i know will come with time. also, i'm not so sure about the strings on her... they are good quality of course, but they are some of the hardest i've ever felt on a guitar... but maybe that's a good thing when first learning??? i basically wanna know advice, any books or videos that you guys have used, and anything else you can think of. any help is much appreciated... i've loved this instrument for so long, i am determined to learn it. oh and so you all know, i can't read music for shit, but i got a book from a friend (Total Guitar) that has some chapters that are helping me a bit on that... and the other thing is i play a right-handed guitar upside down... i don't feel like explaining why now, but if you really wanna know, i'll tell you.

thanks, and rock on,
mark
Look at all the love we've found

Poncho

Post by Poncho » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:20 pm

As far as books are concerned, seek out the Berklee Method. It's a three volume book, and if you start at the beginning of volume one and work all teh way through, no matter how long it takes, and finish method three, you will be a VERY good player. The books are put out by Berklee College of Music, so its jazz based, and it requires that you read music (you can learn that quickly, though) They really will change your playing completely for the better... I highly, highly suggest them.

cornerstone27

Post by cornerstone27 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:35 pm

i have a book on the blues method but if you're anything like me you simply can't read a book and learn how to play, you need to do it. i learned mostly from just watching videos of people play, listening, and using ultimate-guitar.com's lesson pages - they've probably helped me the most

WornSon22
2005 Award Winner
2005 Award Winner

Post by WornSon22 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:27 am

right on... thanks both of you guys...i'll have to look into those books after i get paid next.
Look at all the love we've found