first electric

Share and update guitar / bass tabs
TT Lo

first electric

Post by TT Lo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:16 am

k i'm gettin an electric guitar for my brithday and i was gunna get an Ibanez RG370. in fact i was about to order it this morning (i gutta order cuz i'm a lefty) but then my buddy called me and said that his brother, who has like 13 guitars including an ibanez, told me not to get it because the tuning with them is fucked up or something (i dont really understand what exactly the reason was but i knew it had to do with tuning.) he said it wouldnt be a good first guitar to get. I already have an acousitic so i know how to play a bit. i was thinking about getting an epiphone les paul because les paul's are dope and i dont have $2000 for a gibson.

what do you guys think is a good first guitar to get? keep in mind that i'm a lefty so some guitars are out of the question, only the more popular styles get are available for us, and NO COLOR SELECTION AT ALL. its fucking bullshit

much appriciated
We're only gunna die from our own arrogence, that's why we might as well take our time

dontdrinkthatwine

Post by dontdrinkthatwine » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:31 pm

or you could do what jimi hendrix did to his guitar

kittycannibal

Post by kittycannibal » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:08 am

i'm left-handed, and i do everything in my life left-handed with the exception of instruments. it really is easier and cheaper to be right-handed in the guitar world. think about if you're going to your friend's house and there's a guitar... your friend is gonna be right-handed and you'll be aching to play it. i'm definitely not speaking out against leftie pride, i have plenty, it's just something to consider that it'll be easier to play rightie. as far as first guitars, mine was a little red Fender stratocaster, i was 9 years old and loved it.
i would run; i would switch, but i wanna be the same.

www.myspace.com/kittycannibal

TT Lo

Post by TT Lo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:31 am

Concrete Wave wrote:i'm left-handed, and i do everything in my life left-handed with the exception of instruments. it really is easier and cheaper to be right-handed in the guitar world. think about if you're going to your friend's house and there's a guitar... your friend is gonna be right-handed and you'll be aching to play it. i'm definitely not speaking out against leftie pride, i have plenty, it's just something to consider that it'll be easier to play rightie.

man people tell me that all the time and my response is this. pick up your guitar and hold it upside down and imagine trying to play it that way. it feel unnatural and theres no way its gunna happen. thats what its like when i try to play right handed. i cant even hold it right, it feels weird. when i got my acoustic is was a right handed guitar and i immidiately picked it up and said... we gutta problem, because i picked it up upside down, i cudnt even figure out how to hold it the other way. so i got it restrung lefty and started learnin shit
We're only gunna die from our own arrogence, that's why we might as well take our time

bcbud

Post by bcbud » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Pawn shops too. I played hand-me-down strat and les paul copies before getting something nicer. don't be afraid to buy and sell, try cheap stuff, go play in your local guitar shop (even if you are a lefty they should be able to help you out a little). Smash shit up, take it apart, customize with cheaper ones. Whatever you end up getting, have fun with it.

TT Lo

Post by TT Lo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:11 pm

bcbud wrote:Pawn shops too. I played hand-me-down strat and les paul copies before getting something nicer. don't be afraid to buy and sell, try cheap stuff, go play in your local guitar shop (even if you are a lefty they should be able to help you out a little). Smash shit up, take it apart, customize with cheaper ones. Whatever you end up getting, have fun with it.

yeah all of these things are true but pawn shops and such dont have a huge selection when your left handed... plus its not as easy to find someone who is willing to buy my old guitar when i get bored with it because lefty's are so few and far between.. regardless, i appriciate the advice, i'm gunna go shopping around and find something i like...

speaking of having the s470, that was the one i wanted to get in the first place and i was gunna ask if it had the same kind of bridge.. but i guess it does... are all ibanez guitars like that?

Poncho

Post by Poncho » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 pm

DO NOT LEARN HOW TO PLAY RIGHTY IF YOU'RE LEFT HANDED!!!!

Trust me...It'll be a waste of time and you'l feel stupid because you won't progress at all.

Either spend the extra money on a guitar, or do what Jimi did.

And also, don't get an Ibanez for your first guitar. Go with something like an Epiphone or a Fender. You'll be glad you did.