dont laugh at me

Share and update guitar / bass tabs
TT Lo

dont laugh at me

Post by TT Lo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:11 am

I'm 17 years old and I've never picked up a guitar. I've always liked them, honestly I always thought I'd be alright at it if I learned. I'm just wondering how I should start, like, should I just buy an acoustic guitar first? I'm seriously lost, I wudnt need lessons or ne thing like that I dont think, I'd rather just teach myself or use a program or something like that.
We're only gunna die from our own arrogence, that's why we might as well take our time

crazyfool_05

Post by crazyfool_05 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:29 pm

I picked up my dad's acoustic when I was 17 and just messed around on it. Now, only a year later, and I know a plethora of scales such as the dorians and the blues scales. But when I think about it, it all started with playing around with my dad's acoustic guitar. After that, it was just dedication. If you have acess to an acoustic, then it'd be a great start. Work the strings with your picking hand first, and when you get a good feel for the guitar, then you can move on to fretting notes and power chords. Before you know it, you'll be playing barre chords as smoothly as Bradley himself. Just be patient and dedicate yourself. cyberfret.com is a good resource for learning.

Poncho

Post by Poncho » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:11 pm

Lessons are excellent.

Lu dogs shit

Post by Lu dogs shit » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:16 pm

id definatley rent one if its possible or borrow, stick with it, a lot of people quit because of frustration at first
hey

TT Lo

Post by TT Lo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:17 pm

crazyfool_05 wrote:I picked up my dad's acoustic when I was 17 and just messed around on it. Now, only a year later, and I know a plethora of scales such as the dorians and the blues scales. But when I think about it, it all started with playing around with my dad's acoustic guitar. After that, it was just dedication. If you have acess to an acoustic, then it'd be a great start. Work the strings with your picking hand first, and when you get a good feel for the guitar, then you can move on to fretting notes and power chords. Before you know it, you'll be playing barre chords as smoothly as Bradley himself. Just be patient and dedicate yourself. cyberfret.com is a good resource for learning.

nice thanks man
We're only gunna die from our own arrogence, that's why we might as well take our time

Epicure

Post by Epicure » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:39 pm

lessons only work for some
I love high school girls man, As i get older they stay the same age

Lu dogs shit

Post by Lu dogs shit » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:09 pm

no, it depends on whos teaching
hey

droplet

Post by droplet » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:00 am

I just got my friend to show me how to read tabs and now i can play pretty dern good yup yup

roses

Post by roses » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:35 pm

DONT BUY AN ACOUSTIC FIRST

theyre so hard to learn on get a nice electric (affordable though)

thats just my opinion
move over you sugar-coated track star and let a real ice rasta show you how its done

TT Lo

Post by TT Lo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:09 am

I dunno thats what one of my buddies told me, but so many other people have told me to learn with an acoustic because after you do that electric comes easy. I dunno, you cant be sittin around at a party and be like... i'm gunna break out the electric guitar, u kno? you can do that kinda shit with an acoustic

Lu dogs shit

Post by Lu dogs shit » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:12 pm

acoustic isnt much harder than electric, your 17 your fingers are strong enough to hold those strings down..really it dosent matter what you got first, i learned on acoustic, also acoustic is much more simple, you dont have to worry about all those settings. thats just my opinion...really do whatever works out best for you if you find a good deal for a decent guitar get it, i have a shitty fender squire, it works fine.
hey

DUBg

Post by DUBg » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:17 pm

just dont spend alot of money what ever you buy because like when i started my dad wasnt sure if i would like it so he spent 80 bucks on a squire stratocaster from a pawnshop with an amp and i didnt touch it for the longest time then i just started playin. taught myself how to learn tab, got kinda good at that so i started jugglin around heavier tuning and power chords and shit, then i got all into acoustic sound so i bought a cheap acoustic and played that for a summer or 2 and now im here
about 5 years later with a crazy ass electric set up.
i love my guitar. that is one of my only loves.
Free your soul, let it take you away.
RIP Hankey pankey i miss you buddy

TT Lo

Post by TT Lo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:56 pm

yeah I'm gettin an acoustic to learn, I'm gutta start with tabs and then try to learn the chords and shit. I got a couple buddies who play and one of thems off the hook so he shud be able to show me some shit. I got another buddy who got an electiric guitar for christmas when he was like ten but never played and he'll sell it to me for cheap when i'm ready to start playin with elecrtic, he showed it to me last night and its fuckin ill, his parents must have been pissed they spent all that money, which is pretty much the main reason i didnt get one when i was young cuz my parents didnt think i'd stick with it...

EDIT- by the way that pic in ur sig is fuckin halarious.. Iron my shirt bitch.. ha classic

kittycannibal

Post by kittycannibal » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:18 pm

when i started playing guitar i was 9, i got a red fender stratocaster and a small fender amp, took lessons for a couple years. but i was 9, that was 10 years ago and since then i've taught myself to play ukulele and bass, and now i play my acoustic guitar all the time and rarely touch an electric. you're 17, i'm sure u don't need lessons, just find out how to play chords, www.chordfind.com will give you any chord you need, incorporate that with tab sites and you'll be well on your way. to be honest i barely remember shit from lessons anyways... good luck and have fun!
i would run; i would switch, but i wanna be the same.

www.myspace.com/kittycannibal

bleedinvirgin

Post by bleedinvirgin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 am

if it s all about playin chords, it doesnt matter if u start with an acostic or an electric...

decide which style u wanna play..

just think while u r watchin a band which guy interests u most.. this ll help u...
:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Smokey the Bandit

Post by Smokey the Bandit » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:27 pm

It doesn't matter which one you pick up first. Lessons are soo extremely helpful. Especially at the beginning so you don't pick up any bad habits.

Myke

Post by Myke » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:47 pm

yeah, im just starting to play man, and my friend is giving me lessons since he is quite good. I'm learning on an acoustic and all is going well. Just be dedicated and make sure as Smokey said, don't pick up any bad habits.
Just let the lovin take a hold, cause it will if you let it.